Sunday, August 24, 2014

Blog Assignment #1

What are the things (if any) you have heard about EDM310?
Source: fotosearch.com 

When it came to asking former EDM310 students what they thought about the class, one thing always came up and that was how time consuming the workload was. On the other hand, these same students would be quick to mention that as long as you stayed up with the projects and posts, you would succeed in the class.


What fears (if any) do you have about EDM310

I think my biggest fear about the class is how much work there is to be done. As I start to look at the Master Checklist though, I see how making sure to do the work at the beginning of each week instead of waiting till the last minute will make a huge difference on whether or not I am able to keep up.


Compare and Contrast EDM310 with other classes you have taken in college or high school.

In some ways, EDM310 is a different experience than my previous classes. With my first degree being in history, I am used to a teacher standing in front of a class and lecturing for our entire meeting period. These lectures would ultimately be followed by a test that required us to regurgitate the information we were told. EDM310 has a more hands on approach to teaching with the students learning as they go instead of listening to a lecture. However, I do feel that EDM310 has some aspects that are similar to my previous courses. In history, we would chose a stance on a topic and search for writings that would support our idea. This type of research always taught me more about a subject than a lecture. As I move forward in EDM310, I see that same principle being the case. As I work on a project and seek out information that will help me, I know I will gain a lot more knowledge than if I was just given a lecture.


What do you think will be the most difficult thing for you in EDM310?

I feel the most difficult thing for me to do in this class will be evaluating and critiquing my own work. I find it is a challenging task to sit back and review my work, looking at it honestly and objectively. Sometimes I feel confident that my work is good and gloss over a review that would truly give me insight into what could be better.


What is the best way for you to address this "most difficult" aspect of EDM310?

For me to overcome this difficult task, I think I will have to make the time to look at and think about the work I am doing. I will have to challenge the way I think, and try to take an honest assessment of how I am preforming.


What questions do you still have about EDM310? What ideas do have about how to address those questions?

Moving forward, I feel as though I have a good understanding of how the class will progress and I am looking forward to what I will be able to accomplish during the semester. For right now I do not have any other questions, but I am positive that in the future I will have plenty.

2 comments:

  1. "On the other hand, these same students would be quick to mention that as long as you stayed up with the projects and posts, you would succeed in the class."

    Your statement above is very true! Keeping up with deadlines is very important to your success in this class. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! It seems like you will do fine in this course, you sound very confident unlike a lot of people, including myself. All of my courses up until now have been lecture type courses doing exactly what you said, "regurgitate the information". Hopefully, this class will be beneficial to both of us. After just two weeks I can already see changes in the way I handle my workload. Good luck, and I look forward to working with you in our group.

    ReplyDelete